Friday, May 19, 2006

Transfer

Hey guys. I'm very angry about SCAD's animation program right now. I seriously wish someone had told me how bad it was before I applied. The school focuses on creating generalists rather than character animators. None of the animation that SCAD proudly displays is anywhere near the quality of work that one would need to get into feature. Our best animation teacher is leaving when this quarter is over. We have a Disney animator as one of our teachers, but he's way too nice, even when asked for a tough critique.

I've looked at the CalArts website and saw that the only way to transfer into their character animation program is to pretty much start over as a freshman. In the fall I'll be a junior at SCAD and am wondering if I should start over at CalArts. I am insistent of getting into feature animation when I graduate from school. I know that's a rare occurrence and requires a ton of work, but I am prepared to spend all of my time working (I do it already anyway, lol). Anyway, if that's what it takes to get into feature animation, then that's fine. I know that SCAD will not help me reach that goal at all. I know AM will help me out a lot, but was wondering if I should even bother continuing at SCAD when AM's over.

Oh, I'll be done with AM in the 2006 winter quarter and plan to return to SCAD as a junior in their spring quarter. Because of my decision to take off from SCAD during AM's short film classes, I've pushed my SCAD graduation back by two quarters. Do you guys think it's worth it to start over completely at a FAR SUPERIOR school?

2 comments:

anthea said...

I can feel your fustration, think of how I felt after graduating from NYU's master program in 3D animation and was unable to find a job at all for years. SCAD is a way better program than NYU for sure, but I can still relate. Personally I feel Animation Mentor is all the animation school one needs to make it to features, I feel like I'm living proof of that point, without them I'd still be unemployable. And I didn't get into a "far superior school" like Sherridan, and couldn't afford Cal Arts after the whopping $70,00 for NYU, so AM was a godsend and I am so greatful. So my advice to you is if you want to drop out of SCAD then go for it, and just focus completely on AM. It's a great program and everyone in the industry knows about it.

Anonymous said...

It's also nice to be able to write "BFA" on your resume - and a lot of companies require a degree to be hired. Or course if you're a rare animation genius, no degree needed. But for the rest of us - it really does help. If I were you, I'd finish up SCAD and continue with AM - where SCAD lacks in animation training, AM will fill in. And I bet SCAD has some killer figure drawing classes...I'd focus on that. ;)