Monday, December 07, 2009

Somewhat New Approach

Hey guys,
Sorry for the lack of updates on my Mickey painting. We were given the parameters for our next assignment and I've been working on coming up with ideas on what I should do. I spoke to my mentor today and had my idea approved (yay!!!!). I'm not entirely sure it will fit within the designated time limit though. I've imagined it out against a stopwatch and it comes in between 8-12 seconds. Rather that blocking it out and figuring out the timing as I go, I've decided to retry pre-timing on an x sheet. I did it with my Mittens test from last year and a little on Cat Flap, but I didn't really know what I was doing. I watched an awesome lecture on the subject by Eric Goldberg and am excited about trying to do it again.

With practice, pre-timing your x sheets will give you a solid sense of what 12's, 10's, 8's, 6's, 4's etc. feels like and in time you'll be able to pre-time out your scenes accurately with little to no revisions (performance/timing wise). Eric does this for every scene that he touches and usually gets it right in one try 80-90% of time. How awesome is that?! I know it will take years and years of practice before I can become anywhere as good as Eric, but those years of pre-timing practice have started today. =D

No comments: