Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Medium Woes

I wish I didn't draw nearly as slow as I do. I'm planning my final project for Animation II right now and am having medium related trouble. My project will be a dialogue shot that takes place in a surgery room (or whatever it's proper name is). I need a few props to show thats where the characters are. Things like scalpels, forceps, a gurney, a tray/table for the surgical tools to sit on, and a syringe. The character will be preparing his tools for surgery while delivering his line, so the props are rather important.

The trouble is, I cant find any free models for the props that I need. I only have about two weeks to go from start to finish on my shot in addition to final projects for Survey of Animation and Studies in Motion. I don't have time to try to model all of the props that I'll need for my shot, as I need to focus on animating as quickly as possible without sacrificing quality. Lately, I've been really eager to to some 2d animation and would love to try to do this shot in 2d. Sadly, I draw really slow and am afraid that if I try to do it in 2d I wont be able to finish it by the deadline. This really sucks since I could have the whole operation room in my layout if I did it in 2d. I would have everything I need and more. I could even have the character putting on his rubber gloves. I just take so long to draw that I am really unsure if I would be able to pull it off in 2d on time.

This isn't the first time I've had this dilemma and it probably won't be the last. I'm going to spend the upcoming summer animating in 2d digitally. I really prefer to animate the old fashioned way with paper and a pencil, but I don't have the proper equipment at home to pull that off. Anyway, I'm going to work on my drawing and 2d animation skills so (hopefully) speed wont be an issue when the fall quarter starts up. I still don't know what I'm going to do about my current issue though.

No comments: